Beauty, they say is not in the face but lies in the heart. However, it is difficult to dismiss how a person looks. Others say beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder but many people beg to differ.
Is there any standard of measuring beauty? What are the things that make us assume that a person is beautiful? To understand this complex topic, let us first define beauty.
The oxford dictionary defines beauty as a combination of qualities, such as shape, colour, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight. This definition is self-explanatory. It talks about the appearance of a person or a thing that gives you pleasure.
Another definition of beauty is the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, colour, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).
It is evident that, in all these definitions, the primary thing has to do with the senses. As a reminder, Humans have five basic senses: touch, sight, hearing, smell and taste. It is out of these senses that humans are able to judge whether a person looks beautiful or not.
Sight is perceived with the eyes. Thus, it is the eyes that will judge whether a person looks beautiful or not. The eyes see everything whether physical attributes or personality, the eyes does. It sees the skin, the shape, the colour and so on. People who are blind are mostly compensated with enhanced hearing, smell and taste. They can also judge a person when they touch them. All these senses come into play to judge what we term beautiful. The skin is the outermost part of the body. Thus, a person will most likely judge beauty when they see what a person’s skin is made of or how it looks.
The skin is the largest external organ of the body. Its primary aim is to protect your body from infections and serves as a support for the body. Regardless, the skin is what we present to the outside. You can just look at someone’s skin and predict that they are unwell. The skin is the face that is presented to the world. The skin is the site where all our other physical features are located. Choices such as the food a person eats, what a person does, where you go and how you feel will affect the skin.
You are what you eat. The outside is just a manifestation of the things happening within your body. It is at this state that we question whether beauty is truly within. Because just as the famous saying goes, garbage in, garbage out. The skin is just an expression of what you feed your body. For healthy- and good-looking skin, these are some of the things to do.
· Watch your diet. Fats and carbohydrates are good but must be taken in moderation. A higher intake of fruits containing vitamin C will help your looks. Diary has been linked with acne flares(pimples), this may not be the same for everyone but you can try and observe it.
Foods rich in antioxidants such as fruits, vegetables and fish helps to protect the skin. Also, taking in lots of water may make things easier on the skin and within.
· Exercise. Exercise benefits every part of your body -- including your skin. Exercise does not have to be so vigorous but a daily routine that helps you to keep fit. An evening walk or a short morning exercise is a step in the right direction. It improves circulation and helps to nourish the skin. Better blood flow brings more oxygen and nutrients and may help your skin produce collagen, which prevents wrinkles.
Wash your face or take a shower right after exercising or a workout. Exercise puts you in shape. If you want the desired form, you can always achieve that by working out and eating the right diet. Do you want to lose weight or even gain it? Exercise. Consistency is key whenever you decide to work out.
· Get enough rest. Staying up at night for a few nights and you will already be witnessing pale skin, puffy eyes and dark circles under the eyes. Getting 7-8 hours of sleep as an adult will keep your body, skin and even mind in shape. No one can cheat sleep. You may go without food for days but when you decide to do away with sleep, not only will you look miserable but it may even result in an infection. the way a person sleeps may also affect your body. Sleeping on your stomach will worsen bags under your eyes. Solution? Sleep on your back unless you have a common cold. It is also advisable to change your sleeping position with time, else the part of the skin(face) that is pressed against the pillow might have wrinkles.
· Hormonal changes. Many women will experience acne during their period or pregnancy. Acne is a skin problem during these periods because it is caused by excess hormones in your body. Your best bet for avoiding breakouts is to wash your face twice a day and use an oil-free moisturizer. You may also purchase any acne product.
· Stay away from the sun. we have heard that there is the sunshine vitamin and it is good for the skin. This is true but it is available only in the early mornings. Staying in the sun between 10 am and 4 pm may cause severe damage to the skin. About 90% of all skin damage is due to the sun. As your time in the sun goes up, so does your risk of skin cancer. Thus, avoid staying in the sun for too long.
Every day, your skin may come into contact with pollution -- cigarette smoke, car exhaust, or smoggy air. Keep skin healthy and fresh by keeping it clean. Depending on the needs of your skin, you can cleanse your face with a gentle soap or wash, or exfoliate nightly with gentle scrubs and toners to remove dead skin cells, and then apply a retinoid cream and moisturizer.
Ultimately, it is the brain that interprets the information collected by our 5 senses. It is the final decision-maker. It decides whether someone or something is beautiful or not. The brain usually interprets young, firm and softer qualities as healthy and good for the individual. Instantly, you wish to get closer to such a person. The hidden truth is that your brain sees such a person as fertile for reproduction.
So you approach such individuals and confess your love to them. But all this while, your brain has been the one in control.
To read more about attraction, click on https://lambdastories.com/the-science-of-falling-in-love-magical-or-biological/.
Take home message: It is easy to look beautiful. Feed your body with healthy substances and indulge in activities that will maintain and enhance your features.
- Beauty. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/beauty/default.htm
- Beauty and skincare. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care#skin-care.
Lambda Stories Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.