Africa has a lot to give the world, which they can appreciate if they are ready to get over the desire for foreign goods. Africa has developed highly nutritious foods that have contributed to the variety of society’s food supply. But, many of these foods developed are ignored by the world with the mindset that African fabrications are inferior, even by several Africans. This article discusses a popular fruit in Africa called Kola nut, its benefits in the industry, environment, and health care.
KOLA NUT, DEFINITION, AND STRUCTURE.
Kola nut is a fruit of a cola tree with a height of 40 to 60 feet. It has a short stem and a dense crown. It has large leaves, variable in shape and size, and its flowers are hermaphrodite, and it belongs to the Cola nitida and Cacao family. It is originated in the tropical region of Africa. In addition, Kola nuts have a shell-like structure with an oval leaf enveloping them, and they are very bitter when eaten fresh. It can be used to enhance breath, serves as a flavoring agent, uses as an additive in a lot of energy drinks, and is also used in making a chocolate bar.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND AGRICULTURAL BENEFITS OF KOLA NUTS.
Agricultural debris can be contaminated by microbial action, making this type of waste more reasonable in generating substantial outputs useful to man. Kola nut waste can be converted into such outputs and many other things as follows.
- Soap- is a substance made of natural oils or fats with sodium hydroxide or another strong alkali derived from kola nuts husk.
- Kola nut is used as a poultry feed- kola nut husk is mixed with different feed ingredients such as cereal grains, animal by-product meals, soybean, fats, to feed poultries
- Kola nut husks serve as substrates for the production of microbial enzymes. Nevertheless, Enzymes are biological catalysts that speed up chemical reactions. Kola nut husk had been utilized as substrates for the production of amylase, cellulase, protease, and pectinase.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF KOLA NUT.
Some of the health benefits of kola nuts include:
- Antibacterial Importance: Kola nut contains some antibacterial properties that help in prohibiting toxic bacteria from rising in the body.
- Reduces migraine: People with migraines also find kola nut beneficial due to the theobromine and caffeine they contain.
- Kola nut boost Immunity: kola nuts contain antioxidants that enable removing free radicals from the body and improve your immune system against fatal toxins.
- Intensify in circulation: caffeine and theobromine in Kola nuts speed up the heart rate in the circulation process when taken.
- Facilitate weight loss: Kola nuts help individuals get rid of excess fat in the body easily and faster which leads to weight loss.
- Boost energy levels: kola nut naturally serves as a stimulant to the central nervous system, which may be capable of boosting concentration and energy levels in humans.
- Kola Nut boosts Fertility:
it is commonly used by some women experiencing infertility. Thus, as a woman, you can increase your chance of fertility by using kola nuts.
- Kola nut can be used to treat bones fracture: some elements found in kola nut are known to be very useful in easing bone pain, especially around the knees. So, frequent intake of kola nut will aid prevent Osteoarthritis ailment as it expands your bone density.
- It relief Prostate Cancer: Kola nut serves as an anti-inflammatory drug that lessens the risk of prostate cancer by delaying the development of the cell repeatedly.
- Kola Nut Combats Malaria
According to research, the chemical constituents in kola have anti-malarial properties. This is why traditional healers for many years have prescribed bitter kola for the treatment of malaria.
- It serves as natural Cold therapy: the kola nut is popularly used as a home remedy to treat chest colds.
- Kola nut is used to treat respiratory diseases: Kola nuts are used to treat illnesses such as influenza, pneumonia, and asthma due to the presence of caffeine found in kola.
INDUSTRIAL AND NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF KOLA NUT.
Kola nuts are high in theobromine, a chemical compound found in food sources like chocolate and tea leaves. Kola nut is used in some parts of the world as an additive to prevent food spoilage and in energy drinks to enhance performance.
Also, the kola nut taste is used by several beverage companies as a flavoring agent. Coca-Cola and even Pepsi Cola tastes are examples.
Furthermore, Kola nut is used in the medicinal industries because of it several medicinal micronutrients it contains. When kola nut is eaten, it boosts immunity and metabolism. It also helps in relieving health issues like bone illness, gastric troubles, and respiratory disease. Additionally, this fruit helps treat hypertension, kidney disease, and heart failure.
COSMETIC USE OF KOLA NUT.
Kola nut extract, which is manufactured from kola seed oil contains polyphenols that can function as antioxidants for the skin, so it can help maintain skin conditions from pollution, free radicals, and also susceptibility to UV rays that can damage the skin. Aside from polyphenols, kola nuts also contain very high levels of caffeine which serves as a natural ingredient in cosmetics that has been used for generations, kola seed extract has several validated properties to help fight the indications of premature aging and wrinkles, fine lines, black spots, and stretch marks due to its caffeine content.
RISK AND SIDE EFFECTS OF KOLA NUT.
Kola nut has a bad and good side irrespective of its numerous benefits. It might serve as harm to some categories of people. Anyone allergic to nuts is not advised to eat kola nuts since they can suffer disturbed stomachs or difficulty in breathing, and interfering with your body’s ability to absorb calcium
Also, kola nuts may not be good for people with high blood pressure or specific cardiac circumstances due to their stimulant outcome.
Again, kola nut is not good for people who find it difficult to sleep due to its caffeine quantity.
In conclusion, Kola nut might have a lot of sides effect including shakiness, anxiety, nausea, insomnia, abnormal heart rate, dehydration, and dependency.
John Staughton, " 6 amazing benefits of Kola nut" last updated July 09, 2021. Retrieve from http://www.organicfacts.net
What is kola nut? Reviewed by Debra Rose, updated on September 18, 2018. Retrieve from http://www.healthline.com
Lambda Stories Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.